Monday, November 7, 2011

The Artsy Bone

I was not born with an artistic or creative bone, but over the past couple of years I have developed an itch to do artsy things because of unexpected run-ins while shopping.  I have somehow ended up where I am now: often having the inkling to bead or sew something.  And thus this blog is created because I now wish I get new ideas and share my ideas for projects.


I think this all started when I moved into my current duplex where I needed an extremely small curtain that I could not find but instead had to make on my own.  My aunt brought me to a fabric store where I found my love for looking and feeling the different patterns and textures of fabrics.  I needed up buying some cheap burlap and used a hot glue gun to put together my little curtain: no sewing needed!


But then my aunt built on my interest of fabrics by bringing me to more fabric shopping and lunch dates, and very soon I was hooked.  I started with making a simple pillow that required sewing one long straight line, flipping it over, and then just tying the ends off with ribbons.  Then I moved to sewing matching curtains which required sewing 4 long straight lines.  And then it got more complex as I experimented with ruffles, trimmings, and et cetera.  I still have long ways to go.


That started a year ago.  Beading only came to me two weeks ago.  I was at dinner with my friend's parents who came into town, and her mom had just gone to a jewelry show.  My friend's mom said a few things about the jewelry show at dinner so my friend and I decided to go the next day.  We went to the jewelry show expecting to come out with some necklaces and bracelets, but instead - maybe we started at the wrong end of the show room - we were not able to find any pre-made necklaces and bracelets, instead I found myself spending over 300 dollars on just beads.  Why?  Because I do love shopping and buying pretty things even if I would not know what to do with them.  So the 300 dollar worth of beads sat in my cupboard for a couple days until my guilt of spending money on irrelevant things got to me and I got up and bought more art supplies and started making necklaces and bracelets.  I was immediately hooked!  There are so many different clasps and threads and beads and colors and textures.   Extremely exciting stuff!


So here I am!  I'm ready for you beading world!  I will try to post what I have been doing and PLEASE if anyone is reading my blog, PLEASE SEND ME comments and ideas of where to explore in the beading and sewing world!  ARTSY PEOPLE OF THE WORLD PLEASE INVITE ME TO BE ARTSY TOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment